Opening in September 2017, SGS Berkeley Green UTC will specialise in Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing and Digital Technologies including cyber security and will provide first class opportunities for young people to gain the skills required by these sectors. The UTC, unlike other secondary schools in Gloucestershire, provides a unique opportunity for young people, to spend a minimum of 40% of their time learning about and gaining vocational skills and experience needed by employers whilst still meeting the requirements of the national curriculum due to the extended school day
The investment in the vocational curriculum, designed by employers, will set learners apart and local employers are keen to tap into this source of future talent for their sector.
Neill Ricketts, Chief Executive Officer Versarien, one of Gloucestershire's leading manufacturing companies is the first confirmed sponsor and is urging others to follow suit and is delighted to be able to offer an annual internship to students joining the UTC either in year 10 or 12. In explaining his commitment Neill commented:
"Employers are desperate for talent and we need to retain the best we possibly can do within the region. So if I find the talent is so strong rather than limit the opportunity I would engage all with talent as I need young talent for the future of my company."
Internships will provide successful applicants with
- Minimum of 4 weeks work placement each year;
- Access and contact with an engineer or technologist from the sponsoring employer to provide a minimum of 5 days of mentoring each year;
- Contribution to the students educational supplies, £200 per year;
- Provision of workwear for the student up to a maximum of £150;
- And a guaranteed interview with a chance to meet and present to the directors of the company as the student completes his/her course.
Also the sponsoring employer will make an annual contribution to the UTC Bursary Scheme to support qualifying students.
How to apply for an Internship
Please complete a UTC application and state that you're interested in an Internship.
Gloucestershire Science and Technology Park
Berkeley, GL13 9FB
Phone: 0800 0567 253